​​​​​​​EU Transition (Brexit) and your food business

EU Transition (Brexit) and your food business

QR code to go to the Brexit page on GOV.UK

We have already left the EU; the transition period ended on 31 December 2020.

To find out what changes apply use the checker tool for tailored advice, visit GOV.UK - transition or scan the QR code.

The UK Government has produced a handy checklist that contains a list of actions to help you identify what your business needs to do.

Food labelling

Food labelling changes after Brexit
Preparing for the EU exit if you're a business in the food and drink sector

Health and identification marks

If you are an approved establishment, from the 1 January 2021 new health and identification marks must be used. Guidance on health and identification marks


The process for importing goods from the EU is changing. If you import goods from the EU to Great Britain are you prepared for the changes from 1 January 2021?

Businesses need to complete actions to continue importing from EU countries from 1 January 2021.

Importing animals, animal products and high-risk food and feed not of animal origin after EU Exit. Read the guidance on how to import animals and animal products from 1 January 2021.

If you're importing high-risk food and feed not of animal origin, ensure that those consignments enter the UK at a Border Control Post.

If importing from the rest of the world via the EU, make sure that those consignments enter the UK at a border control post or designated point of entry.

Importing fish

If importing most fish and fish products between the UK and EU, you will need a catch certificate. For guidance on how to import fish for human consumption visit gov.uk

Exporting to EU

The process for exporting goods to the EU is changing. Businesses need to complete actions to continue exporting to EU countries from 1 January 2021.

What you need to do to export or move live animals, products of animal origin and animal by-products from 1 January 2021

Exports to non-EU countries (third countries) from the UK

There’s unlikely to be any change to the current export rules and processes for countries outside the EU. Make sure you check the existing guidance on exporting live animals or animal products.

Get an EORI number

You need an EORI number to move goods between Great Britain and non-EU countries from 1 January 2021. You may also need one if you move goods to or from Northern Ireland. If you do not have an EORI, you may have increased costs and delays. For example, if HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) cannot clear your goods you may have to pay storage fees.

You’ll need an EORI number from an EU country if your business will be making declarations or getting a customs decision in the EU. Get this from the customs authority in the EU country where you submit your first declaration or request your first decision. If you use a post or parcel company, they’ll tell you if you need an EORI number.

We would also recommend that you contact your suppliers, customers and partners. Contact your trade associations for advice, guidance and support.

Contact details

Hammersmith & Fulham Council
The Environment Department
Regulatory Services
Food and Safety Team
Hammersmith Town Hall
W6 9JU

020 8753 1081

Translate this website