Brexit and food businesses

The government has provided guidance on how to prepare if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. This includes information on importing and exporting, labelling products and making them safe.

Food labelling

Food labelling changes after Brexit

Preparing for the EU exit if you're a business in the food and drink sector

Health and identification marks

Guidance on health and identification marks


Importing animals, animal products and high-risk food and feed not of animal origin after EU Exit. Read the guidance on how to import when the UK leaves the EU.

If you're importing high-risk food and feed not of animal origin, ensure that those consignments enter the UK at a Border Control Post.

If importing from the rest of the world via the EU, make sure that those consignments enter the UK at a border control post or designated point of entry.

Importing fish

If importing most fish and fish products between the UK and EU, you will need a catch certificate. Guidance is available on exporting and importing fish if there’s no Brexit deal.

Preparing your business

If your business deals in food, or animal feed, your responsibility to make sure it is safe will remain a requirement of law from day one of the UK leaving the EU. For most businesses, the current requirements of food and feed law will continue to apply with no or limited changes.

You can read more about preparing your food business for the UK leaving the EU on the Food Standards Agency website.

You can also visit GOV.UK to access an online tool for helping businesses to prepare for Brexit.

Preparing businesses for EU Exit - this information on this page will help you understand how leaving the EU may affect your business

Contact details

Hammersmith & Fulham Council
The Environment Department
Regulatory Services
Food and Safety Team
Hammersmith Town Hall
W6 9JU

020 8753 1081