Guidance on building regulations

The building regulations are a set of minimum requirements about:

  • the health, safety and welfare of people in and around buildings
  • the conservation of fuel and energy within buildings
  • access and facilities for all, including Disabled people, in new buildings.

Guidance notes

You can ensure your development complies with the building regulations by following the approved documents guidance in the planning portal.

Technical guidance notes on building regulations (pdf 1MB)

The technical guidance notes cover the following subjects:

  • A.04 Notches
  • A.05 Lateral restraint to wall at floor level
  • A.06 Strutting to floor joists
  • A.11 Retaining walls
  • B.01 Smoke alarms in dwelling
  • F.01 Roof void ventilation
  • J.02 Positions for gas flue terminals
  • M.01 Disabled toilet layout
  • N.01 Provision for safety glazing
  • N.02 Manifestation of glazing

Additional notes on building regulation approved document part A - structural alterations

Additional notes on building regulation approved document part P - home electrical safety

Additional notes on building regulation approved document part L - conservation of fuel and power (pdf)

Guidance on how to describe your proposed works

Descriptions of proposed works

    See also building control frequently asked questions

    The approval process

    The building regulations apply to most building work, therefore it is important to know when approval is needed. We are responsible for checking that the building regulations have been met. The person carrying out the work is legally responsible for getting approval for the building work.

    Contact building control

    Please tell us that you are carrying out building work.

    The procedures are set out in the building regulations. Some of them relate to pre-site procedures and others relate to procedures once work is underway on site.


    Please see Warranties for information about guarantees and insurance for your building work

    Useful links

    Free online publications which can be downloaded from the GOV.UK website include:

    Building work, replacements and repairs to your home
    Preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls

    Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors

    Visit the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors' website

    Council leaseholders

    In addition to building control approval, where the council is the freeholder, landlord's consent will be required where leaseholders are carrying out building works to their premises. Please see Alterations for further information about landlord's consent.