Thames Water has announced new sites in Hammersmith & Fulham and Kensington and Chelsea for the construction of the Counters Creek storm relief sewer.
H&F Council worked with residents last summer to oppose earlier plans from Thames Water that were unwanted by residents.
“The sites proposed by Thames Water in their first consultation were simply unacceptable,” said H&F Council leader, Cllr Stephen Cowan.
“Everyone agrees with the aims of the works—it is important to plan to avoid basements being flooded with sewage”
“But it is not right that Thames Water should blight other people’s lives to do this. I am glad the old sites have been dropped, and it is now important to respond to the consultation on the new sites.”
Thames Water says the relief sewer will reduce the risk of basement flooding to 1,700 properties and is consulting on the new sites from 12 January to 5 April 2016.
The new five sites are:
- Cremorne Wharf Depot, Lots Road, Chelsea
- Land adjacent to Talgarth Road and Trevanion Road, Hammersmith
- Maclise Road car park and woodland adjacent to Kensington Olympia Station
- Holland Villas Road at its junction with Lower Addison Gardens, West Kensington
- The car park at Tesco Superstore, Shepherd’s Bush Road, Hammersmith
The sites no longer being considered are:
- Hammersmith Grove, Verulam House, Trussley Road and Astrop Terrace
- The Edward Woods estate
- Gwendwr Road open space, Mund Street and Barons Court Road (the grass verge on the A4 is proposed instead)
- Swanscombe Road and Rifle Place, including housing estate land (land north of Maclise Road car park is proposed instead)
- Land at Sulgrave Gardens, the 5* car wash and the west of Shepherds Bush Green (part of the Tesco car park at Brook Green is now proposed instead).
Drop-in sessions will be held throughout the affected areas for residents to find out more. Details will be published on Thames Water’s website.
Anyone with questions about the Counters Creek storm relief sewer can contact Thames Water by emailing email@example.com or by calling 0800 316 9800, selecting option 2 and quoting reference number BB968577.