Telephone monitoring policy
What is the policy?
We have a telephone system in the day time and out of hours contact centre, h&f direct centre, rent income h&f advice, housing repairs, adult social care, leaseholders and parking services that allows us to record conversations.
Like many other organisations, this is standard practice that allows the recording of telephone calls for quality monitoring and security purposes. We record all calls to the contact centre and we only use these recordings for the purposes specified in the policy.
Fair processing notice
Telephone calls are recorded to ensure that calls are being handled correctly and provide a tool to capture any training information. However, in addition, calls are recorded for;
- Customer conduct
We will not tolerate abusive language or behaviour either by or to our members of staff. All staff have the right to work without fear or verbal or physical abuse. In order to maintain high standards and protect staff we record all telephone calls to the contact centre
- Staff and data processors
The information you give us will be used by our staff and third parties who provide council services on our behalf
- Developing and testing business applications
We may use the information you give us to maintain and improve the services which we deliver, this includes developing and upgrading the systems which we use to process your information.
- Corporate business intelligence
We may share the information you give us with other council services for research and analysis purposes, to help us design the services we provide and to identify and contact residents who may benefit from them.
- Prevention and detection of fraud
We may share and compare your information with other council services and other organisations to make sure the information is accurate, to protect public funds, recover debt and/or prevent or detect fraud. These other organisations include government departments, other local authorities and private sector organisations such as banks or organisations that lend money.
- Legal requirements
We will use all information held by us for the purposes of law enforcement, regulation and licensing, criminal prosecutions and court proceedings.
All personal information will be processed and retained in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Why do we need a policy?
The policy ensures that the use of telephone recordings is fair and lawful. The relevant legislation includes:
- The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act
- The Telecommunications (Interception of Communications Regulations)
- The Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations
- The Data Protection Act
- The Human Rights Act
How will it affect me?
If you make a call to the contact centre (day time or out of hours), h&f direct centre, rent income, h&f advice, housing repairs, adult social care, leasehold services or parking services your call is recorded. Under normal circumstances it will not be retrieved or monitored, unless it is necessary to investigate a complaint, there is a threat to the health and safety of staff or visitors or for the prevention or detection of crime. If it is a particularly good example of how to handle a call, it may be used for training. However, this will only be permitted if the recording is edited so that the caller remains anonymous and the member of staff who was party to the call agrees to its being used in this way.
When did this policy come into effect?
The policy came into effect in July 2013.
Where can I find out more?
For further information on the policy please contact;
- for calls made to H&F Direct and corporate day time and out of hours contact centres – John Cordani (Head of Customer Services) on 020 8753 1318
- for Rent Income – Duncan Brown (Head of Rent Income) 020 8753 4017
- for H&F Advice – Johathan Joseph (Head of Housing & Assessment) on 020 8753 1649
- for Housing Repairs – Kelvin Julien (Customer Services & Repairs Manager) on 020 7205 0418
- for Parking Services – David Taylor (Head of Parking Services) on 020 8753 2816
- for Leasehold Services – Jana du Preez (Head of Leasehold Services) on 020 8753 4242
- for Adult Social Care – Viv Whittingham on 020 8753 5499.