Noise and nuisance

How we deal with nuisances such as noise, smoke, odour or excessive light from residential and commercial premises.

Service hours

Our noise and nuisance service operates 7 days a week, 8am to 3am, including weekends and bank holidays except for Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Report a noise or nuisance

To report a noise or nuisance happening now:

  • During office hours: 020 8753 1081
  • Outside office hours: 020 8748 8588

To report an ongoing noise or nuisance complaint which is not ongoing at the moment or outside service hours:

Report noise or nuisance online

If you submit a complaint using the online form, an officer will review your complaint within 2 working days. If the noise is happening now, please call the numbers above.

Or email:

Our privacy policy

Noise and nuisance privacy policy

The Environmental Public Protection Nuisance Team (EPPNT) (formerly Noise and Nuisance Team) will investigate

Domestic noise: 

  • excessively loud music, 
  • loud TV or radio 
  • excessive dog barking or other noisy domestic animals
  • excessively loud voices (shouting) and parties 
  • DIY noises at unreasonable times
  • car and house alarms
  • construction site noise or dust pollution
  • bonfires and burning
  • nuisance from odours, dust, smoke and artificial light.

Commercial noise: 

  • mechanical plant and machinery noise 
  • amplified noise including music
  • construction noise (particularly outside of reasonable hours)
  • licensed premises

Other types of nuisance:

  • smoke from bonfires
  • odours from commercial premises
  • dust nuisance
  • light nuisance
  • high hedges

What the EPPNT are unable to investigate:   

  • impact noise from footfall, children playing or slamming doors
  • noise associated with poor sound insulation
  • smells from cigarette smoke
  • noisy construction works within permitted times using reasonable construction methods
  • noise from people in the street, communal areas, parks and other outside areas. 
  • odours arising from a domestic dwelling

Noise from aircraft and helicopters

The council does not have any legal powers under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 or the Noise Act 1996 to take direct action against noisy aircraft or helicopters flying over the borough. However, we support residents by responding to government consultations on relevant aviation and noise issues such as opposing a 3rd Runway at Heathrow. Further details on this can be found here, Heathrow third runway.

If you have a complaint about noise from aircraft, residents are encouraged to complain directly to Heathrow. See Make a complaint about noise | Heathrow.

To complain about noise from the Heliport or helicopters using the Heliport, complete and submit the form on Noise Complaints | London Heliport. For general complaints about overflying helicopters or aircraft, contact the Civil Aviation Authority, Noise - Overview | Civil Aviation Authority.

What you can expect of us

  1. If reporting a noise ‘happening now’ within service hours an officer will call you back as soon as they are available.
  2. The team will assess and prioritise complaints based on case history, the nature of the disturbance, the number of residents affected and geographic location. 
  3. During periods of high demand a visit may not be possible straight away.
  4. When witnessing noise officers will determine if it is unreasonable, if it is likely to amount to a nuisance and whether it is appropriate and safe to approach the noise maker.
  5. Where a statutory nuisance is witnessed for an ongoing case, the case will be reviewed within 3 working days to determine the next course of action. 
  6. If you or your neighbour is a social housing tenant, we will share any evidence obtained with the landlord for their own action.
  7. We will keep your details confidential and will not release them to the subject of a complaint (without your explicit permission).

What we expect of you

  1. We cannot investigate or prioritise anonymous complaints.
  2. If the noise ceases before officers attend, call the service to cancel your visit request.
  3. If issued with a noise diary or diary app, you will accurately fill and complete the diary sheet and return it within six weeks. 
  4. In interactions with officers on the phone and in person residents are expected to be courteous and adhere to social distancing requests.
  5. You may be asked to provide a supporting statement in cases where enforcement action is necessary.  
  6. You will allow access to your home if officers need to assess noise within it. 
  7. You will provide clear and accurate information about the nature of your complaint including the duration and frequency of the noise.

Enforcement policy

Environmental Health and Public Protection Enforcement Policy (pdf 378KB)

Construction guidance

All sites and construction operatives must adhere to the Councils Code of Construction Practice. A copy of the code together with guidance on construction works can be found on the council’s construction webpage.

Construction guidance for contractors

Translate this website