Policy and accountability committees
H&F Council has six scrutiny committees, which are known as policy and accountability committees (PACs).
Each committee plays a vital role in how the council operates and makes sure that local decision making is as open, transparent and accessible as possible for all local residents. They look at a particular topic and then listen to the people who are affected by it. Their views and opinions are then used to form recommendations that ultimately guide the council’s overall policies and direction.
Through the PACs, the council is committed to public engagement and working with residents in developing policy and the council’s decision-making process. They work hand-in-hand with residents to shape the future of the borough.
The committees consist of councillors who do not sit on the council’s executive. Some of the committees also have co-opted members representing residents groups, local experts, and the community.
Policy and accountability committees have the following key responsibilities:
- To develop policy recommendations and influence how the council works
- To hold the cabinet to account
- To scrutinise decisions made by partner organisations in the interest of the residents of the borough
- To review the impact of council decisions and policies, particularly on vulnerable and protected groups
- To amplify the voice and concerns of local residents and to give residents a mechanism to comment on, participate in and develop council policy
- To improve the council’s services by listening to residents and user groups
The policy and accountability committees are:
- Children and Education Policy and Accountability Committee
- Community Safety, Environment and Residents Services Policy and Accountability Committee
- Economic Regeneration, Housing and the Arts Policy and Accountability Committee
- Finance and Delivery Policy and Accountability Committee
- Health, Adult Social Care and Social Inclusion Policy and Accountability Committee
- Public Services Reform Policy and Accountability Committee
You can find more information about the PACs, including the date of the next meeting, at the links above.