Policy and accountability committees
H&F Council has five scrutiny committees, which are known as policy and accountability committees (PACs).
Each committee plays a vital role in how the council operates and makes sure that local decision making is as open, transparent and accessible as possible for all local residents.
They look at a particular topic and then listen to the people who are affected by it. Their views and opinions are then used to form recommendations that ultimately guide the council’s overall policies and direction.
Through the PACs, the council is committed to public engagement and working with residents in developing policy and the council’s decision-making process. They work hand-in-hand with residents to shape the future of the borough.
The committees consist of non-executive councillors who do not sit on the council’s executive cabinet. Some of the committees also have co-opted members representing user groups, local experts and the community.
Policy and accountability committees will have the following key responsibilities to:
- develop policy recommendations and influencing how the council works
- hold the cabinet to account
- scrutinise decisions made by partner organisations in the interest of the residents of the borough
- review the impact of decisions and policies implemented by the council and other local service providers
- amplify the voice and concerns of local residents and to give residents a mechanism to comment on, participate in and develop council policy, and
- improve the council’s services by listening to residents and user groups.
PACs will be responsible for understanding and assessing the impact of council policies, particularly the impact on vulnerable and protected groups.
In the event that a council policy is not achieving the desired objectives, the PAC will review the policy and make recommendations for improvement.
The five policy and accountability committees are:
- Children and Education Policy and Accountability Committee
- Community Safety, Environment and Residents Services Policy and Accountability Committee
- Economic Regeneration, Housing and the Arts Policy and Accountability Committee
- Finance and Delivery Policy and Accountability Committee
- Health, Adult Social Care and Social Inclusion Policy and Accountability Committee
You can find out when your next PAC meeting is taking place on our current committees webpage.