Making a liability claim against the council
If you are a third party solicitor
If you wish to submit a new Employer's Liability (EL), Public Liability (PL) or Road Traffic Accident (RTA) claim against the council through the claims portal, the council’s portal code is: G01064.
If you are a claimant in person
Update on 11 May 2020: Please note the shared insurance service between City of Westminster, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham will remain a remote service for the foreseeable future. This is to enable other services that need to use our limited office space to do so. Therefore, please do not send any correspondence to the council's insurance service by post until further notice as the team are working remotely, in-line with UK government coronavirus guidance.
If you wish to make a claim against the council, please submit a letter of claim by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also find our contact details at the bottom of this page.
The information needed in a letter of claim is defined in law and should include:
- claimant’s name and address
- claimant’s date of birth
- claimant’s national insurance number
- details of the incident such as exact location and date/time it occurred
- an indication of the injury or damage to property
- a detailed explanation of how or why you feel the council has acted negligently.
If you are making a highways claim please fill in the highways information request form (pdf 193KB).
Before making a claim for compensation against us, please note the following:
- Everybody has the right to make a claim but we will only give compensation if we are legally at fault for the incident.
- For a personal injury claim, once we have acknowledged your letter of claim, we have 40 business days (from the date the letter of acknowledgement is sent) to investigate the claim and either admit or deny liability. These time scales are in line with the current Ministry of Justice pre-action protocols. We handle all other claims such as property damage claims in the spirit of these protocols.
- If you are insured privately for the damage or injury sustained, such as motor insurance, you may wish to report the claim to them. If covered they will settle your loss and then pursue recovery against us on your behalf, reducing the administrative burden on you.
- Fraudulent claims will be prosecuted and could result in imprisonment.
Please include as much information as possible and any photographs or maps of the location. It’s your responsibility to prove your loss against us. Vague or incomplete information or failure to identify the exact location of a slip or trip claim will prevent legitimate investigation and will result in your claim not being accepted as meeting the Ministry of Justice pre-action protocols. The more information you provide the easier it will be to investigate and reach a decision of liability.
If you don’t give us enough information in your letter, we won’t consider it a letter of claim.
Making a buildings insurance claim
If you are a Hammersmith & Fulham Council residential leaseholder
If you wish to make a claim on your buildings insurance, please contact QuestGates Limited, claims administrators on behalf of Avid Insurance Services Limited, quoting policy number 2019CP000110.
Claims are managed by QuestGates as our insurer’s appointed agents. QuestGates are chartered loss adjusters and claims handling specialists.
The most efficient way to submit a claim is via the following link:
This uploads the details of the claim together with any documents, photos or videos you have of the damage via a secure network. The platform can be used at any time of day, 365 days a year. The average time to make a claim via this method is around six minutes. QuestGates will contact you as soon as they can to progress the claim once they have received it.
- you can submit a claim via email to email@example.com
- or if the matter is urgent please telephone them on 01204 860 427, which is answered 24 hours a day
- or you can write to TPA Solutions, QuestGates Limited, Benchmark House, Folds Point, Folds Road, Bolton, BL1 2RZ.
If you are a Hammersmith & Fulham Council commercial property leaseholder
If you wish to make a claim on your buildings insurance, please contact our commercial property insurers, Protector Insurance, quoting policy reference 549804:
- 0161 274 9077
- Protector UK website
- Protector Insurance, 7th Floor, 3 Hardman Street, Manchester, M3 3HF.
For all other queries please contact our insurance section
Please do not send any correspondence to the council's insurance service by post until further notice as the team are currently working remotely, in-line with government coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance.