Making a liability claim against the council

How to make a employer’s liability claim, public liability claim, highways claim or buildings insurance claim.

For information about we use your data please see our Fair Obtaining notice.

If you are a third-party solicitor

If you are a third-party solicitor and wish to submit a new Employer's Liability (EL), Public Liability (PL) or Road Traffic Accident (RTA) claim before 1 June 2021 against the council through the claims portal, the council's portal code is: G01064.

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident on or after the 1 June 2021 with a vehicle owned by the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham and have been injured and wish to make a claim you should direct your claim to the Official Injury Claims Portal (

Government legislation states that all eligible claims should be submitted through this internet portal site which has been designed and tested to ensure it is user friendly and that you do not require legal training to use it.

There is information on the website and a helpline number if you need assistance to register the claim.

Once you have registered the claim we will be able to investigate your claim and provide a response.

If you are a claimant in person

If you wish to make a claim against the council, please submit a letter of claim by email to Please also find our contact details at the bottom of this page.

The information needed in a letter of claim is defined in law and should include:

  • claimant’s name and address
  • claimant’s date of birth
  • claimant’s national insurance number
  • details of the incident such as exact location and date/time it occurred
  • an indication of the injury or damage to property
  • a detailed explanation of how or why you feel the council has acted negligently.

If you are making a highways claim please fill in the highways information request form (pdf 193KB).

If you are making a housing claim please fill in and return the following form.

Before making a claim for compensation against us, please note the following:

  • Everybody has the right to make a claim but we will only give compensation if we are legally at fault for the incident.
  • For a personal injury claim, once we have acknowledged your letter of claim, we have 40 business days (from the date the letter of acknowledgement is sent) to investigate the claim and either admit or deny liability. These time scales are in line with the current Ministry of Justice pre-action protocols. We handle all other claims such as property damage claims in the spirit of these protocols.
  • If you are insured privately for the damage or injury sustained, such as motor insurance, you may wish to report the claim to them. If covered they will settle your loss and then pursue recovery against us on your behalf, reducing the administrative burden on you.
  • Fraudulent claims will be prosecuted and could result in imprisonment.

Please include as much information as possible and any photographs or maps of the location. It’s your responsibility to prove your loss against us. Vague or incomplete information or failure to identify the exact location of a slip or trip claim will prevent legitimate investigation and will result in your claim not being accepted as meeting the Ministry of Justice pre-action protocols. The more information you provide the easier it will be to investigate and reach a decision of liability.

If you don’t give us enough information in your letter, we won’t consider it a letter of claim.

Making a buildings insurance claim

If you are a Hammersmith & Fulham Council residential leaseholder

If you wish to make a claim on your buildings insurance, please contact Sedgwick claims administrators on behalf of Protector, quoting policy number 3120745.

Claims are managed by Sedgwick who are appointed by Protector.

Claims notification contact details are:

Insurer address: Claims at Sedgwick, Oakleigh House, 14-16 Park Place, Cardiff, CF10 3DQ
New claims email:
New claims report line: 0161 823 1912

If you are a Hammersmith & Fulham Council commercial property leaseholder

If you wish to make a claim on your buildings insurance, please contact our commercial property insurers, Protector Insurance, quoting policy reference 549804:

For all other queries please contact our insurance section

  • 07970 944 462
  • 07714 839 767
  • 07970 944 475

We are currently asking that all proceedings and communications are sent electronically, either direct to the case handler or if unsure please send to

Guidance for solicitors

Any proceedings or communications sent via the post to us, due to the possible restrictions on office numbers due to the changeable nature of Covid and other sickness precautions around physical post may not be received and should this lead to an application against us we will be drawing this notice to the attention of the court.

Translate this website