The H&F Foodbank in Bloemfontein Road, funded by H&F Council, works on a voucher referral system. Residents in need are given emergency food parcels with food for up to 10 nutritionally balanced meals. The foodbank works with Citizens Advice H&F to train volunteers to give financial and debt advice, and support the most vulnerable clients and the complex issues they have, and address food poverty
31 March 2021
Annual funding level
In the past year...
- The 41 volunteers have worked 1,730 hours supporting 1,433 residents in need.
Outcomes for residents:
- Since The Hub launched in March 2016, a total of 869 vouchers have been redeemed. Every Thursday, in partnership with the Big Local and Mitie, the foodbank runs the employability scheme. Five of the 128 who attended already started jobs.
- There were 42 coffee mornings and 30 drop-in sessions, attended by 500 people
- London Plus Credit Union attended 22 drop-in sessions, with eight people opening accounts
- The Law Centre ran 15 housing advice drop-ins, with 12 people benefiting
- There were 15 Sew Knit sessions, funded by the Big Local, with 92 attending
- The foodbank’s Eat Well Spend Less course was taken by seven local people.
“I felt so welcome and well looked after; this place is very helpful and the people are so caring.”
“I am happy that someone cares and I can eat for a few days and don’t have to worry.”
“It was very helpful; I don’t feel judged and there were nice, pleasant people to talk to.”
“Welcomed with open arms and greeted with understanding hearts.”
The foodbank’s holiday clubs at the Randolph Beresford children’s centre have proved popular, with 26 children and nine adults attending. Almost all the families who attended the first camp attended the subsequent sessions, with one mother commenting: “I don’t know what I’ll do without it!”
More of the Eat Well, Spend Less course are planned.
Related news stories
- Universal Credit ‘chaos’ leads to huge demand for Foodbank (December 2017)
- H&F Foodbank needed more than ever – can you help? (April 2017)
- Foodbank drive for donations as demand for service remains high in H&F (March 2017)
- Can you help? Need is growing for H&F Foodbank (20 January 2017)
- Help struggling H&F families by adding a few items to your shopping list (2 December 2016)
- Residents urged to support H&F Foodbank during summer spike in demand (28 July 2016)
- H&F Council-funded charities join forces to transform lives (27 June 2016)
- Tackling food poverty at ground-breaking H&F hub (16 March 2016)
- Volunteers needed to help Hammersmith & Fulham Foodbank make the most of expansion plans (14 January 2016)
- Young filmmakers chronicle urgent need for H&F Foodbank’s work (12 February 2016)
- New food bank collection point to help fight against food poverty in Hammersmith & Fulham (19 June 2015)