Prevent and schools - staff training for schools
“[Schools] should make sure that staff have training that gives them the knowledge and confidence to identify children at risk of being drawn into terrorism, and to challenge extremist ideas which can be used to legitimise terrorism...” HM Government, Prevent Duty Guidance, 2015, 12
Our Prevent Engagement Officer is available to support local schools and colleges in the following areas:
- To develop staff who are confident in their ability to understand, recognise and refer vulnerabilities that can lead to radicalisation.
- To brief senior leadership or governors on how they might respond to recent changes in legislation and satisfy OFSTED requirements.
- To design a curriculum with specific learning opportunities to challenge extremist narratives and promote the exchange of ideas, critical analysis and tolerance.
- To provide bespoke advice and support and assist schools in organising relevant external speakers and student workshops.
Our FREE, 90-minute training sessions to staff explore key issues relating to radicalisation and extremism, how it can take root and develop, what you can do to prevent it, and most importantly, how your concerns about a vulnerable individual can be appropriately shared in order to access specialist support.
“Schools should be safe spaces in which children and young people can understand and discuss sensitive topics, including terrorism and the extremist ideas that are part of terrorist ideology, and learn how to challenge these ideas.” HM Government, Prevent Duty Guidance, 2015, 11.
Our training sessions
Our schools training sessions seek to build upon the existing work that many local schools already deliver. Such work can help to build an effective resilience to extremism.
An effective approach often includes:
- Robust safeguarding policies
- Effective anti-bullying policies
- Encouraging active citizenship and public engagement
- Establishing strong links with families and community groups
- The promotion of community cohesion, tolerance and equality
- Improving educational attainment
- Professional skills development
To request a free training session or for more information, please email your local Prevent Engagement Officer at: