Child protection

If you're worried that a child is being abused or neglected, tell us, or the police if you have an immediate concern.

Anyone can contact us if they are worried that a child may be at risk

Initial Consultation and Advice Team (ICAT), our family services front door service, can be contacted by professionals and the public regarding any child safeguarding concerns for children living in Hammersmith and Fulham.

ICAT can also provide advice, and can direct you to support services in the borough.

If you have a concern about a child or young person, you can contact us:

020 8753 6600 (general enquiries)

020 8753 6610 (professionals’ line for consultations and referrals)

Out of hours service: 020 8748 8588

If you have an immediate concern for the wellbeing of a child or young person, call the police on 999.

Local Safeguarding Children Partnership

Local Safeguarding Children Partnership

Contact and assessment service

All councils have a legal duty to investigate if any child is suspected to be at risk of significant harm. If significant concerns are raised, they will be forwarded to the contact and assessment service to assess the concerns.

It may be that the concerns are unfounded and that no further action is necessary, although all concerns are taken seriously.

020 8753 6600

Fax: 020 8753 4209

2nd floor
145 King Street
W6 9XY

Family support and child protection service

If some intervention or further support is needed, the family will be referred to the family support and child protection service that works with the most vulnerable children and families in the borough to help protect children from neglect and abuse.

These families often need a lot of support. In some cases it may be necessary for a child protection case conference to be held to make sure that all the agencies involved with a family share information and develop a plan to make sure that the child is protected.

Family support and child protection service

2nd floor
145 King Street
W6 9XY

020 8753 5534

What happens when a child is referred to us?

We recognise that our involvement can be stressful for families but our first priority is to keep children safe.

We explain to parents why we have been asked to help them and try to involve the whole family in working out what is best for the child. Where necessary we also speak to other professionals such as nursery or school teachers, doctors or health visitors.

This is to help us build up a clear picture of how the child is being cared for to find out what support the family needs.

If we believe that a criminal offence has been committed against a child we may need to involve the police. They work with us in cases where a child needs urgent protection.

What happens next?

This varies from case to case. The social worker who has been assigned will work with the family to develop the best plan for the child and will put them in touch with the services they need.

We will hold regular meetings to make sure that we continue to provide the right support for the child and his or her family.

It is very unusual for a child to be removed from their home. We believe that children are usually best brought up in their own families and will provide support to help keep families together wherever possible.

In extreme cases, and where no other option is available, social workers can apply for a court order to look after a child away from their family home.

Translate this website