Health and safety at work

Guidance and information about health and safety at work.

Risk assessment

We inspect businesses in the borough such as offices, shops, leisure centres, hotels, outdoor markets and warehouses to ensure conditions are satisfactory and safe. We do not deal with construction, manufacturing or council buildings, these are dealt with by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) complaints and advisory team. To contact the HSE call 0300 003 1647 or complete the HSE online reporting form.

We investigate reports of accidents at work that involve staff or the general public and complaints relating to health and safety matters at a workplace. We provide information to businesses and members of the public to increase awareness of health and safety and assist business comply with the law.

Any investigation or enforcement action taken by council officers must follow the council's enforcement policy. For further information on our service standards, annual report and enforcement policy please visit the environmental health homepage.

Report it online

Report a health and safety issue online

Other help and information available

London Healthy Workplace Award – Do you want to get support and recognition for your commitment to employee health and wellbeing in your company or organisation? Register your interest in the London Healthy Workplace Award today. For introductory information on the London Healthy Workplace Award and links to a wide range of resources to support your healthy workplace, please visit the Employee health and wellbeing resource hub which provides links to a wide range of resources to support your healthy workplace.

Violence at Work booklet (pdf 3.77MB) – Work related violence is any incident in which a person is abused threatened or assaulted, in circumstances related to their work. The Health and Safety Executive website has advice and information about violence at work.

Control of Noise at Work Regulations guide (pdf 2.74MB) – A guide for employers in pubs, clubs and music venues. If you have to raise your voice above music you and your staff are at risk of permanent hearing loss, the Control of Noise at Work Regulations guide will assist you in assessing and controlling exposure to noise at work.

Good hoteliers guide (pdf 1.86MB) – A guide for small hotel owners to assist them in meeting their legal requirements.

Cooling tower public register

Cooling tower public register

Preventing Legionella

During the lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic, many business premises have been temporarily closed and may not have been occupied for some time. Water lying in pipes and other water systems may have allowed Legionella bugs to grow. Find out about preventing Legionella.

Reporting accidents and injuries

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Act 1995 (RIDDOR) places a duty on employers to report certain types of accidents, injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences to their health and safety enforcement authority. For information on what types of accidents are reportable and to make a report visit RIDDOR on the HSE website.

The Incident Selection Criteria Policy (pdf 343KB) sets out how the team deals with incidents and accidents that are reported.   

The Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel

The Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel will look into complaints regarding advice given by HSE or LA inspectors about health and safety which you think is incorrect or goes beyond what is required to control the risk adequately. The panel consists of independent members who will have the competence and experience to assess advice that has been given on regulatory matters. Before you raise an issue with the panel, you should have first tried to resolve the matter with the relevant HSE or LA inspector and their manager.

More information and panel contact details can be found on the HSE website.

Public events safety advisory groups minutes of meetings

Public events safety advisory groups minutes of meetings

Safety in sports grounds

Safety in sports grounds

Enforcement policy

Environmental Health and Public Protection Enforcement Policy (pdf 378KB)

General data protection regulations

For information on general data protection regulations and how we manage your data please see the health and safety team privacy notice.

The Good Work Standard

The Good Work Standard is part of the Mayor of London’s commitment to make London the best city in the world to work. It brings together best employment practice and links to resources and support from across London to help employers improve their organisations. 

Find out more about the Good Work Standard.

Contact us

For further information or to make a complaint:

Report a health and safety issue online form 

Hammersmith & Fulham Council
The Environment Department
Food and Safety Team
Hammersmith Town Hall
King Street
London W6 9JU

020 8753 1081

Translate this website