Marriage certificate corrections

How to make a correction

If you find an error on a marriage certificate, it may be possible to correct it. This process is used when incorrect information is given unknowingly. A correction cannot be made in the case of an informant changing their mind about the information that was originally given.

Corrections to a marriage entry will need to be referred to the General Register Office (GRO). Fill in a marriage correction aplication form stating what the error is and how it was made. 

Marriage certificate correction form and guidance notes

You have to show documentary evidence of the correct information in order for the correction to be authorised. Information on what will be accepted as documentary evidence can be found in the guidance notes which accompany the certificate correction form. You will have to state who will go to the register office to witness the correction.

An application needs to be made at the local register office where the marriage registration is held. Please bring the completed form and documentary evidence to us at The Register Office, Hammersmith Town Hall, King Street, London, W6 9JU from Monday to Friday between 9am and 4.30pm.

While you are here, we will check the correction paperwork and we will refer it to GRO. We will photocopy and certify your documents so that you can keep your original documents.


Want to stay connected with H&F? Sign-up to the council