Birth certificate corrections

If there's a mistake on a birth certificate, it's usually possible to correct it. Here's what to do.

How to make a correction

If you find an error on a birth certificate it may be possible to correct it. This process is used when incorrect information is given unknowingly. A correction cannot be made in the case of an informant changing their mind about the information that was originally given.

Some corrections can be completed locally without referral to the General Register Office (GRO) and some will need to be referred to GRO. Fill in a birth certificate correction form stating what the error is and how it was made. 

Birth certificate correction form and guidance notes 

Documentary evidence showing the correct information will need to be produced in order for the correction to be authorised. Information on what will be accepted as documentary evidence can be found in the guidance notes which accompany the certificate correction form.

You have to say whether you want to go to the register office to witness the correction or if you are happy for it to be made in your absence.

An application needs to be made at the local register office where the birth registration is held. Please email us, so that we can arrange a suitable time for you to bring the completed form and documentary evidence to the Register Office, Clockwork Building, 45 Beavor Lane, Hammersmith, London W6 9AR from Monday to Friday between 9am and 4.30pm.

While you are here, we will check whether the correction can be completed locally or if it needs to be referred to GRO. If the correction needs to be sent to GRO we will photocopy and certify your documents so that you can keep your original documents.


Translate this website