Margravine (or Hammersmith) Cemetery is one of the borough's most important public open spaces.
The cemetery is well used and loved by local residents, and residents and visitors from neighbouring boroughs.
Many people access the cemetery on their way to the local tube station (Barons Court) or hospital (Charing Cross).
For information about the cemetery including opening hours and a detailed map of the cemetery please go to cemeteries in Hammersmith and Fulham.
Nearest tube: Barons Court (District and Piccadilly)
Buses: 190, 211, 220, 295
From Barons Court tube station, head west on Margravine Gardens - the entrance to the cemetery is on your left.
- buildings of interest
- historic features
- formal planting
- listed buildings
- war memorials
- wildlife conservation
The cemetery was opened in 1868 and laid out by local architect George Saunders who designed the modest Gothic style lodges and two chapels in the Gothic style. Only one chapel of rest survives, the other was demolished in 1939.
The first burial took place on 3 November 1869. Some of the more significant memorials remaining include the impressive Young family mausoleum, the only one in the cemetery. The cemetery is also part of the Barons Court Conservation area, designated in April 1989.
The 16.5 acres of Margravine became a Garden of Rest in 1951 when the then Hammersmith Council, concerned at its dilapidated appearance, decided to remove as many memorials and bury as many tombstones as possible and lay the cleared land to grass. By 1965 this 'clear-up' operation was completed, leaving behind the mix of gravestones and grass that we see today.
Friends of Margravine Cemetery
Visit the Friends of Margravine Cemetery website.