Hurlingham Park in Fulham is one of the borough's flagship parks. This eight-hectare space is particularly popular with sporty residents and visitors.
Nearest tube: Parson's Green or Putney Bridge (District)
Buses: 14, 22, 424, 220
From Putney bridge station turn left onto Ranelagh Gardens, turn left and follow the road through to the entrance to the park.
A car park with paid parking is available at Hurlingham Park. Much of the surrounding area is resident parking only.
- play area for 0-5 year olds
- play area for 5-13 year olds
- tennis courts (3)
- football pitches [astroturf (1) / grass (2)]
- rugby pitches (2)
- changing rooms
- netball courts (2)
- bowling green
The area now occupied by the park once belonged to the Hurlingham Club, which was originally a pigeon shooting club. In 1874 the club expanded its sporting interest to include polo which soon became the club's speciality. The last polo match at the Hurlingham Club took place in 1937. In 1942, about 9 acres of the polo ground were leased to Fulham Borough Council as allotments.
In 1951 this land, and the pony stables, were then brought by London County Council for use as a park. Hurlingham Park has undergone several changes since then. The stables on the eastern side became a bowling green, paddling pool and children's playground, while the polo ground became a sports' field with running track, cricket and football pitches and tennis courts.
Friends of Hurlingham Park
Contact details to be confirmed.