Brook Green

Information about Brook Green in Hammersmith.

On this page


Brook Green is Green Flag Award accredited and is located in the centre of Hammersmith & Fulham, east of Hammersmith Broadway.

The green's postcode is W6 7BL and the map reference is 523597m E, 17900m N.

The play area is open by 7.30am and locked in the evening. The green is otherwise unlocked.

Nearest tube and rail: Hammersmith (Circle, District, Metropolitan, Piccadilly) and Kensington (Olympia) (District, London Overground)

Buses: 9, 23, 27, 72, 220, 283, 295 and 306

There is no on-site parking. Pay and display parking is available in the surrounding areas.


The green comprises two distinct areas: 

  • Brook Green which is 1.7 hectares
  • Little Brook Green which is 0.2 hectares


  • under 8s play area section
  • over 8s play area section
  • cafe with toilets
  • established bulb plantings
  • dog exercise area
  • quiet area
  • established shrub beds.

The green features long grass conservation areas with spring bulbs, wildlife hedging and a community maintained wildflower area.

The canopy is well established with most trees at 80 to 140 years old, shrubs, herbaceous layer and bulbs and labelled trees.

There are also bird, bat and insect boxes, together with a deadwood log pile.

Bookable sports facilities

Brook Green tennis courts have 3 floodlit courts and 2 mini tennis courts available from 7am to 9pm seven days a week. Court bookings are made online using ClubSpark.

Tennis court bookings

Friends and community groups

There is a thriving friends group who are the main stakeholder for the green.

Find out about the Friends of Brook Green.


  • Read about the history of Brook Green

    The Hamlet of Brook Green was established in the 16th century, originating as an outlying farm or grange to a manor, or as a small freehold estate. The area was originally marshland with a brook running through it and where an annual fair was held until 1823.

    The name was mentioned in 1493, in association with a man-made tributary of the Stamford Brook called Black Bull Ditch or Parr’s Ditch, which flowed through the green and joined the Thames south of the Chancellors Wharf. At this time Brook Green was a hamlet, to the north of the village of Hammersmith.

    The brook became polluted and highly odoriferous from waste from the nearby brickfields and finally was converted into a contained sewer in 1876.

    From the 18th and 19th centuries, the area around the green was used for market gardening. The area which is now the Olympia Exhibition Hall was previously the Lee and Kennedy nursery garden. The well-known company was responsible for introducing many hundreds of overseas and exotic species into the UK in the late 18th century.

    The green is surrounded by residential buildings, most of which were built at the end of the 19th century. A small area centred on the green became a conservation area in 1971, which has grown slightly over the last 40 years.

    Several of the surrounding houses carry Blue Plaques.


At present there are no open consultations for Brook Green.

Contact information

Contact the H&F Council parks team by email at or phone on 020 8748 3020.

Contact your Park Ambassador by email at

Report an incident for investigation to your local Law Enforcement Team (LET) by email at or phone on 020 8753 1100 (select option 3).


Link to Google Map of Brook Green.

Translate this website