Warmer Homes

Get up to £25,000 to reduce energy bills this winter with upgrades to your home’s efficiency.

The Warmer Homes scheme from the Mayor of London, operated by RetrofitWorks, may provide you with insulation, draught-proofing, double glazing and other measures if:

  • you’re on a low income or benefits
  • you own your home or rent from a private landlord
  • your home has poor energy performance.

Why do I want to do this?

Energy bills are already high and likely to go up further this winter.

Upgrading your home, or the home where you rent, will help you with the cost of living crisis.

This is because:

  • this kind of upgrade work has saved some households in London over £500 a year on energy bills
  • your home will be more comfortable in winter, and in summer
  • you will be joining a growing number of other residents helping London cut its CO2 emissions.

What does it cost me?

  • £0, if you are an owner-occupier. The scheme is free.
  • £0, if you rent your home – but your landlord will need to contribute.

Am I eligible for the scheme?

If your household income is less than £20,000 after taxes and after mortgage or rent costs, you are likely to meet the personal eligibility.

If your home has an energy rating of D, E, F or G, then you are likely to meet the property eligibility.

Visit the Mayor of London website for the full details of the scheme and the terms and conditions.

What is an energy rating?

All rental properties are required by law to have an energy performance certificate (EPC). If you don’t know your home’s energy rating you can find its EPC on GOV.UK.

Indicators of a low rating can include:

  • higher energy bills than your friends and neighbours
  • single glazed windows
  • mould or condensation on external walls
  • a very old boiler.

How do I apply?

Apply for the Warmer Home scheme on the Mayor of London website.

If you own your home or are a landlord, you apply directly. If you are a tenant, your landlord will need to agree.

Call RetrofitWorks on 0800 029 3567 for advice on eligibility. Please have your income information available.