Duty to refer

What is the duty to refer?

As of 1 October 2018, the Homelessness Reduction Act introduces a new requirement on specified public authorities in England to notify councils of service users they think may be homeless or threatened with becoming homeless.

Which public authorities have the duty to refer?

  • Prisons (public and private)
  • Youth offender institutions
  • Secure training centres
  • Secure colleges
  • Youth offending teams
  • Probation services (community rehabilitation companies and national probation service)
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • Accident and emergency services provided in a hospital
  • Urgent treatment centres (Urgent treatment centres include services locally designated as such, and all other providers of community and primary urgent care, including services locally designated as urgent care centres, minor injury units, minor injury services and walk in centres)
  • Hospitals in their capacity of providing in-patient treatment (Inpatient care means persons who are receiving medical or other treatment as inpatients (admitted patients) in a hospital)
  • Social service authorities.

I am part of an organisation, how can I refer someone?

If you are part of an organisation, whether it is specified above or not, please fill in the form below to refer someone.

We will investigate the referral and establish whether the client should submit a full housing application.

Start of duty to refer form

All fields marked with * must be completed.

Details of referrer
Details of client being referred
Date of birth *
Has the client lived in H&F for 6 out if the last 12 months? *
If no, has the client lived in H&F for 3 out of the last 5 years? *
What sources of income does the client have? *
Please tick all that apply
Are there other people who are part of the homeless notification? *
Please include information about their relationship to the client, their gender and age.