Housing register: What happens after you apply
After you apply to join the housing register:
- We will send you an email that contains a temporary reference number that you can quote if you want to check the progress of your application
- We will assess your application once you have submitted all the information and documents required by us. The assessment usually takes up to 60 days, please do not contact our office to check on your application until after 60 days
- You will then receive an email telling you whether we have accepted your application, if so, your priority band. Your wait time start date will be the date your application was submitted
- We will contact you when you are to be made an offer of housing. Please remember that we will not be able to provide you exact information about when you will receive an offer of housing.
What to do if your details and, or circumstances change after you apply
Until you are rehoused or your application is withdrawn or cancelled, you must inform us immediately of change of circumstances.
- a change of address
- a change in your health, which is affected by your housing
- someone in the household becoming pregnant
- a member of your family leaving or joining the household.
- your employment status changes
- a member of your household reaches the age of 21.
Use the housing register change of circumstances form to tell us about any changes.
You will be asked for your housing register application number when filling in the form so please have it to hand. Once you have completed and submitted the form, please email your supporting documentation to email@example.com
Make sure you include any relevant documents needed to verify the change.
If you don't send the documents to us by email, we will ask for them and your application will be put on hold until we receive this information. We’ll reassess your application and will tell you if there has been a change to your level of priority to be housed.
Change of medical condition
Please see the information on medical assessments.
How long will I have to wait?
It’s difficult to estimate when you will receive an offer of housing - it depends on the number of properties available to let, the level of priority you are based on your application and the length of time you have been on the register. This can be up to 10 years.
Find out more about waiting times on the housing register.