Housing register: What happens after you apply
After you apply to join the housing register:
- We will send you an email that contains a temporary reference number that you can quote if you want to check the progress of your application
- We will assess your application once you have submitted all the information and documents required by us. The assessment usually takes up to 60 days, please do not contact our office to check on your application until after 60 days
- You will then receive an email telling you whether we have accepted your application, if so, your priority band. Your wait time start date will be the date your application was submitted
- We will contact you when you are to be made an offer of housing. Please remember that we will not be able to provide you exact information about when you will receive an offer of housing.
Bid for a Home
If your application to join the housing register is successful, you will be able to search and bid for council and housing association properties on our Housing Online website. Before you can bid on properties, you will need to register for My Account and then register for a Housing Online account. Registration for Bid for a Home will open on Monday 21 November 2022.
For more information, please see Bid for a Home.
What to do if your details and, or circumstances change after you apply
Until you are rehoused or your application is withdrawn or cancelled, you must inform us immediately of change of circumstances.
- a change of address
- a change in your health, which is affected by your housing
- someone in the household becoming pregnant
- a member of your family leaving or joining the household.
- your employment status changes
- a member of your household reaches the age of 21.
Use this form to tell us about any changes: Housing advice contact form.
Select the option “I have a query about the council's Housing Register” then choose “My circumstances have changed since I applied to join the Housing Register” and then complete the form.
You will be asked for your housing register application number when filling in the form so please have it to hand. Make sure you upload any relevant documents needed to verify the change before submitting. If you don't provide the relevant documents, we will ask for them and your application will be put on hold until we receive this information.
Once submitted, we’ll reassess your application and will tell you if there has been a change to your level of priority to be housed. Please allow 14 working days for a response.
Change of medical condition
Please see the information on medical assessments.
How long will I have to wait?
It’s difficult to estimate when you will receive an offer of housing - it depends on the number of properties available to let, the level of priority you are based on your application and the length of time you have been on the register. This can be up to 10 years.
Find out more about waiting times on the housing register.
< Previous: How to upload your supporting evidence