Help for residents facing financial hardship

Winter support fund for struggling families

The government has announced a new fund to support households who are struggling financially. The new fund will help families to meet food and heating costs over the coming months as the country continues its recovery from the pandemic.

We will publish more details here as soon as we have further information from the government about this fund and how it will be distributed.

Self-isolation support payments

Have you got Covid and need to self-isolate but are worried about making ends meet? You can apply for a self-isolation payment.

More about self-isolation payments


Find out about benefits you could be entitled to, visit Help paying

The welfare benefits team can provide welfare rights advice including debt advice, support to identify benefit entitlement and applying for grants.

Contact us about benefits

Help with a new benefits claim

Understanding Universal Credit 

Council tax support

Visit Help with council tax or call 020 8753 6681 if you need help and advice.

Local support payments

Find out how to get extra support in crisis see Help paying.  


Free employment support available from WorkZone

Our H&F WorkZone service is here to support residents into work.

If you have recently lost your job or at risk of being made redundant, please contact us at or call 020 8753 6773.

The free employment service provides:

  • Access to job and apprenticeship opportunities
  • CV and interview technique support
  • Dedicated advisor for one-to-one advice and guidance
  • Training support

For more information please visit the WorkZone website

Employment and financial support 

Paying for your gas and electricity

The government winter support fund has launched to help struggling families with essentials such as food and heating costs. We will publish details about how this will be distributed when we know more from the government.

Your energy supplier can work with you to agree a payment plan so do contact your supplier as soon as you can if you are worried about paying your energy bills. More information about how to do this can be found on the Ofgem website here 

Help with fuel bills

Warm Home Discount Scheme (
You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2021 to 2022 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The scheme opens on 18 October 2021.

Cold Weather Payment (
You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits.

Winter Fuel Payment (
The Winter Fuel Payment is usually paid automatically if you’re eligible. 

Prepayment meters

Customers with prepayment meters who are self-isolating or unable to leave their home to top up their meter should contact their supplier immediately to discuss options.

These may include:

  • someone being sent to top up your prepayment card or token/key
  • having funds added to your meter credit
  • having a preloaded gas or electricity card sent to you in the post.

If you do not have enough money to top up your prepayment meter you can apply for support through the local welfare fund on 020 7745 6464. Check with your utility provider first, as the government has made arrangements with some that financial support be granted directly to you.

Advice to help you improve energy efficiency and save money

Green Doctors is a charity who helps residents save money, stay warm, and improve energy efficiency in their homes. You can find out about their services online and on the phone.

See energy efficiency and warm homes for more information

Paying rent or mortgage

Council tenants

We can provide advice, support and guidance if you’re having difficulty in paying the rent.

This may include setting up a payment plan, or supporting you to claim benefits such as Universal Credit or Employment Support Allowance,

Please contact the rental income team on 020 8753 6032 or email Our phone line is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Private renters

If you are a private renter, we are urging all landlords not to evict a tenant who can’t pay the rent as a result of the coronavirus. However, if you are struggling to pay your rent you can apply for Universal Credit. If you are already receiving Universal Credit or housing benefit you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.


If you’re a homeowner, please call your mortgage provider to explain your change in circumstances, you may be able to pause mortgage payments for up to three months.


Free school meals 

Apply for free school meals

H&F Food Guide

List of food delivery businesses still operating across Hammersmith & Fulham


For those who are able to use them, we want to make sure that our foodbanks are operating well and that they have food supplies and volunteers to support them. 

Find out about foodbanks in Hammersmith & Fulham

Contact details for organisations who can advise about benefits and financial difficulties

H&F Law Centre
020 3880 1727 
Monday – Thursday 10am-12pm, 3pm to 5pm

020 7052 0318
Monday to Friday 9:30 – 5pm

H&F Citizens Advice
General enquiries 0300 330 1162
Help to Claim UC Number - 0800 144 8 444
Monday – Friday 10am – 4pm

H&F Foodbank
020 8746 7718

Welfare Benefits team
020 8753 5566
Monday & Friday 9am – 12.30pm   
Wednesday 1.30pm - 4.30pm

Local welfare fund
020 7041 6464

Credit Union
020 7460 2620
Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm

BSL video of this page