We aim to resolve your complaint at the first opportunity, but whenever this is not possible we have a two-stage complaints process, as set out in the corporate complaints policy (pdf 204KB).

How to make a complaint

Stage 1

Contact the member of staff providing the service you want to complain about or their manager. Tell them the problem and they will try and sort it out. In many cases they will deal with your complaint on the spot.

If this doesn’t happen, you can complain to the h&f InTouch team. This team is responsible for overseeing our complaints procedure and can advise you about making a complaint. Once your complaint has been recorded, we’ll respond within 15 working days.

Stage 2

If you are not satisfied with your Stage 1 response, write to the h&f InTouch team and explain why. Your Stage 1 response will explain how to do this. The h&f InTouch team will then consider your complaint and decide whether it will be recorded at Stage 2.

If your complaint is recorded at Stage 2, a senior member of staff will investigate and respond within 20 working days. If your complaint is not recorded at Stage 2, the h&f InTouch team will explain why.

Contact the h&f InTouch team

There are four ways to complain via the h&f InTouch team:

1) Online. Quick and easy to use. You can be sure we’ve received it; you’ll get a reference number; you can track the progress of your complaint online and you can email your designated caseworker once we’ve assigned your complaint.

Make a complaint online

2) Email your complaint to handfintouch@lbhf.gov.uk. You won’t receive a reference number straight away, but we’ll consider your complaint within three days and send you an acknowledgement email.

3) Call us on 020 8753 2456. However, if you have access to the internet we would recommend using the methods above. You are welcome to call us if you need any help with making a complaint online or by email. Our telephone line is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

4) Write to the h&f InTouch team at Room 229, Hammersmith Town Hall, King Street, London W6 9JU.


If you are unhappy with the way we have dealt with your complaint you can ask the Local Government Ombudsman to look at your complaint.

If you are our tenant and your complaint is about housing, you can ask the Housing Ombudsman to look at your complaint.

Both organisations are independent and investigate allegations of maladministration causing injustice to the person who has complained.

Our response to your complaint will explain which ombudsman you should contact if you are unhappy.  For further information please visit:

Education and social care complaints

The law requires us to deal with some complaints about social care services, services for children and schools in a slightly different way. For more detailed information see:

Requests for service

Don’t use the complaints process if you simply disagree with a decision we’ve made. This applies particularly to decisions such as planning applications, housing and council tax benefit and also parking tickets.

Please visit the relevant pages:

Complaints policies

Corporate complaints policy (pdf 204KB)

Vexatious or Unreasonable Behaviour Policy (pdf 155KB)