Help for residents facing financial hardship

Information for residents during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, including work support, money advice, housing and benefits advice.

Self-isolation support payments

Have you got Covid and need to self-isolate but are worried about making ends meet? You can apply for a self-isolation payment.

More about self-isolation payments


If you do not currently claim, you may be entitled to help through benefits if you need to self-isolate because:

  • you have coronavirus
  • you have coronavirus symptoms, for example a high temperature or new continuous cough
  • someone in your household has coronavirus symptoms
  • you've been told to self-isolate by a doctor or the NHS
  • you have to stay at home due to government advice on coronavirus.

The welfare benefits team will continue to provide welfare rights advice including debt advice, support to identify benefit entitlement and applying for grants.

Contact us about benefits

Help with a new benefits claim

Understanding Universal Credit - coronavirus and claiming benefits

Council tax support

See Help with council tax or call 020 8753 6681 if you need help and advice.

Local support payments

If you have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic and you need financial support, you may be entitled to support through our local support payments.

The council is determined to do as much as it can to support residents through this crisis. It has expanded the local support payment scheme to help as many residents as possible who need help to make ends meet. Find out how to get extra support and are in crisis see Help paying or call 020 7745 6464.  


Free employment support available from WorkZone

Our H&F WorkZone service is here to support residents back into work during the COVID-19 crisis.

If you have recently lost your job or at risk of being made redundant, please contact us at or call 020 8753 6773.

The free employment service provides:

  • Access to job and apprenticeship opportunities
  • CV and interview technique support
  • Dedicated advisor for one-to-one advice and guidance
  • Training support

Due to public health guidance, our employment support service will only be available online and over the phone during the COVID-19 outbreak.

For more information please visit the WorkZone website

Employment and financial support 

Isolation notes

If you live with someone who has symptoms of coronavirus, you can get an isolation note to send to your employer as proof you need to stay off work. You do not need to get a note from a GP.

Get an isolation note

A guide to childcare for key-workers

A list of available childcare provision for your child, if you are a key worker, or your child qualifies for a placement

Paying for your gas and electricity

The government has launched an emergency package with energy suppliers to ensure you don’t face any additional hardships in heating or lighting your home during the coronavirus outbreak.

If you think you cannot afford to pay for extra gas or electricity used because you are having to self-isolate at home, support will be available through your energy supplier. Your supplier must take into account how much you can afford, and will explain your options. No credit meters will be disconnected during the outbreak.

Prepayment meters

Customers with prepayment meters who are self-isolating or unable to leave their home to top up their meter should contact their supplier immediately to discuss options.

These may include:

  • someone being sent to top up your prepayment card or token/key
  • having funds added to your meter credit
  • having a preloaded gas or electricity card sent to you in the post.

If you do not have enough money to top up your prepayment meter you can apply for support through the local welfare fund on 020 7745 6464. Check with your utility provider first, as the government has made arrangements with some that financial support be granted directly to you.

Prepayment meters - government agrees support

Advice to help you improve energy efficiency and save money

Green Doctors is a charity who helps residents save money, stay warm, and improve energy efficiency in their homes. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, they've stopped visiting homes, but you can now access their services online and on the phone.

See energy efficiency and warm homes for more information

If you’re worried about losing your home

Council tenants

We can provide advice, support and guidance if you’re having difficulty in paying the rent due to the coronavirus.

Please contact the rental income team on 020 8753 6032 or email

Our phone line is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

This may include setting up a payment plan, or supporting you to claim benefits. The government has extended statutory sick pay for people affected by the coronavirus.

However, if you’re not eligible, you may be able to claim Universal Credit or Employment Support Allowance, and we can provide advice on this.

Private renters

If you are a private renter, we are urging all landlords not to evict a tenant who can’t pay the rent as a result of the coronavirus. However, if you are struggling to pay your rent you can apply for Universal Credit. If you are already receiving Universal Credit or housing benefit you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.


If you’re a homeowner, please call your mortgage provider to explain your change in circumstances because they will be able to pause mortgage payments for up to three months.


Free school meals 

See government advice on free school meals during coronavirus

H&F Food Guide

List of food delivery businesses still operating across Hammersmith & Fulham


For those who are able to use them, we want to make sure that our foodbanks are operating well and that they have food supplies and volunteers to support them. 

Find out about foodbanks in Hammersmith & Fulham

Contact details for organisations who can advise about benefits and financial difficulties

H&F Law Centre
020 3880 1727 
Monday – Thursday 10am-12pm, 3pm to 5pm

020 7052 0318
Monday to Friday 9:30 – 5pm

H&F Citizens Advice
General enquiries 0300 330 1162
Help to Claim UC Number - 0800 144 8 444
Monday – Friday 10am – 4pm

H&F Foodbank
020 8746 7718

Welfare Benefits team
020 8753 5566
Monday & Friday 9am – 12.30pm   
Wednesday 1.30pm - 4.30pm

Local welfare fund
020 7041 6464

Credit Union
020 7460 2620
Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm

BSL video of this page