Bidding for council contracts
We are committed to supporting local businesses to win contracts in the borough both with us, developers and others. Please see our two programmes below, Fit to Bid and Supply Chain to find out how these can help you submit a successful tender.
Most contracts are awarded on the basis of the 'most economically advantageous' combination of price and quality, rather than just the lowest price.
Fit to Bid
Are you a small business? Do you want to improve your ability to bid for and deliver larger local contracts, including council contracts? Sign up for this new programme in partnership with Branduin Business Support. Learn vital skills, make valuable connections, write better bids and build your capacity in order to deliver larger contracts and grow your business!
Fit to Bid enables growth by maximising the capability of local businesses to engage with key buyers in H&F Council procurement, education, adult social care, green and circular economy, Tier-1 and Tier-2 private sector buyers and local transport and infrastructure hubs. Find out more about Fit To Bid.
A range of workshops will be held over the coming months, focusing on key skills to improve your chances of successfully bidding for larger contracts.
- Meet The Buyer event
Thursday 8 September 2022 from 11am to 12.30pm
Businesses based in Hammersmith & Fulham can access two free 1-2-1 confidential tender business advice sessions with an experienced advisor who will work closely with you to find solutions to overcome your key challenges and master the art and science of bid writing.
H&F Local Supply Chain Project
H&F Local Supply Chain Project is the continuation of a successful free business support project funded by the council aimed at SMEs in the construction related and property maintenance sectors based in Hammersmith & Fulham. They help local companies to access and win work from major property developments in the borough as well as from the council and its framework contractors. They can introduce you to buyers committed to buying more locally and using local traders. They can help improve your chances of winning the work through workshops and one-to-one advice. The council has appointed MTW Consultants Ltd to deliver this service on their behalf.
If you are in the construction or property maintenance trades, with a base in Hammersmith & Fulham, and want to find out more, go to H&F Local Supply Chain and download a registration form today.
Procurement in H&F
Our tendering processes and contractual arrangements have to comply with our contract standing orders (pdf 709KB) and the Public Contracts Regulations 2015. These are based on European Union's Public Procurement Directive 2014/24/EU.
In addition, we may use our term-contractors for low value works, and we may use framework agreements awarded by other public bodies, such as the Crown Commercial Service (CCS). Collaborating with other local authorities and public bodies can help us get better prices by combining our buying power.
Our procurement options
For most work, we seek expressions of interest by advertising on the capitalEsourcing website and via GOV.UK using Contracts Finder and the Find a Tender Service.
Some departments maintain approved lists of consultants, but these are only used where the total estimated value is below £164,176.
- Up to £10,000 - one quotation is required.
- From £10,000 to be below £50,000: Normally three quotations are required. Officers may select organisations that advertise in trade journals or newspapers, rather than advertising a contract notice.
- From £10,000 to below £189,330 (for works only): Normally four quotes are required.
- £25,000 or more: Contract advertised through capitalEsourcing and Contracts Finder unless quotes are sought (as above).
- More than £189,330 - For all goods and services we have to advertise a contract notice in the Find a Tender Service and Contracts Finder. All opportunities are also published on www.capitalEsourcing.com
- More than £4,733,252: For all works contracts we have to advertise a contract notice in the Find a Tender Service and Contracts Finder. All opportunities are also published on www.capitalEsourcing.com
For works and highways-related contracts where the estimated value is below £4,104.394 we may use:
- existing term contracts for highways works and repairs to civic and educational buildings
- the Constructionline website - our "approved list" for works contracts
- a framework agreement set up by a public body.
We have signed up to the Small-Business-Friendly Concordat (pdf 271KB)
Before you bid
For further information and advice on contracts:
Trading with the council
We want to make it as easy as possible for you to tender for council contracts, despite the complex rules and regulations governing public sector contract arrangements. Find out more, Trading with the council