Covid-19 Additional Restrictions Fund (CARF)
The Covid-19 Additional Restrictions Fund (CARF) is a new relief scheme to support qualifying businesses in England affected by Covid-19.
If you operate a business in Hammersmith & Fulham, find out if the business is eligible for the relief fund below.
Who can apply?
This scheme is open to any business in Hammersmith & Fulham in rateable occupation of a property on 1 April 2021. The relevant premises must be within H&F.
The business must show a reduction in turnover and/or profit between 2019/20 and 2020/21 financial years or closest equivalent.
Due to limited funds, the following businesses will not be eligible under the scheme:
- Businesses that either received or are eligible for the Expanded Retail Discount (covering Retail, Hospitality and Leisure businesses), the Nursery Discount or Airport and Ground Operations Support scheme (AGOSS) during this 2021/22 billing year.
- Businesses that received 100% small business rates relief for 2021/22 financial year.
- Businesses that received 100% charity relief for 2021/22 financial year.
- Businesses that did not occupy and trade from the property for the entire 2021/22 financial year (other than premises which were closed temporarily due to government instructions on Covid-19).
- Any businesses that have ended or will end their liability at the premises prior to 30 September 2022.
- Businesses in receipt of Discretionary Rate relief under section 44a, 47 and 49 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.
- Businesses that exceed the subsidy control limits as detailed below; or
- Ratepayers subject to any personal or corporate insolvency procedures; including but not limited to, IVA, CVA, debt relief order, bankruptcy proceedings, striking off notice and administration.
The following are also excluded:
- land used for storage
- government funded schools and educational establishments
- advertising hoardings/rights
- bank and building societies
- private car parks and car spaces
- communication stations
- government funded hospitals and surgeries
- bus stations/depots
- housing associations
- overseas aid organisations
- empty properties
- betting and gambling.
The above list is not exhaustive, and the award remains at the discretion of Hammersmith & Fulham Council.
When will the relief be awarded?
The application process will remain open until 30 August 2022. The relief will be awarded between 30 August 2022 and 30 September 2022.
How much relief will be awarded?
Once all applications have been processed, we will calculate the level of relief to be awarded.
The award will be a fixed percentage relief based on level of business rates in 2021/22. The fixed percentage amount will be determined based on the number of successful applications.
H&F reserves the right to increase the percentage awarded to qualifying businesses if fewer businesses than anticipated qualify resulting in an underspend of the funding.
How will the relief be used?
The CARF award will be used to pay 2021/22 business rates liability. If the award puts the business’ 2021/22 year into credit, the excess funds will be used to reduce any other business rates arrears including any 2022/23 unpaid instalments.
If there is no other outstanding debt, you will be able to claim any credit left once you receive your new bills.
The CARF award will be calculated based on 2021/22 liability after all other reliefs and discounts are taken into account.
If the scheme does not distribute 100% of the funding available, we will reconsider and publish a revised version if necessary.
How to apply
- Be made by the registered ratepayer. If the business ratepayer is an organisation, the application must be made by a person with the authority to act on behalf of that organisation. Rating agents applying on behalf of a business must provide a letter of authority which specifically authorises them to represent the company regarding the CARF award.
- Answer all questions and provide all information required, which may include audited accounts. If you fail to provide information/evidence within the required time limits, the application will not be considered.
- NOT be a bulk application. If you have more than one eligible business property, you must apply for each property individually.
Applications must be received by midnight on 30 August 2022. Any applications received after that date will not be considered.
Business which have or will exceeded the subsidy control limits, should not apply for this relief. Please see Guidance on the UK’s international subsidy control commitments - GOV.UK.
There is no statutory right of appeal against a decision in respect of CARF. Businesses who do not qualify for the relief will be notified by email.
If the business ratepayer is dissatisfied with the outcome of their application, they can email email@example.com with the subject heading ‘CARF Award Review’ within 7 days of their notification email.