Professional dog walker in H&F? You’ll need a licence from 1 October

Professional dog walkers will have to apply for a licence as part of a drive to improve safety and reduce fouling in Hammersmith & Fulham’s parks.

The new requirement comes into effect from 1 October and will mean that any professional dog walkers working in H&F’s parks and open spaces will have to pay an annual fee. Similar schemes are already in place in neighbouring boroughs.

The new licence means all professional dog walkers working in the borough will be registered; improving safety for all park visitors and reducing instances of dog fouling.

“We want anyone who visits our parks and green spaces to feel safe and secure,” said Cllr Wesley Harcourt, H&F Cabinet Member for Environment.

“Residents had raised concerns with us about increasing instances of dog fouling and said they’d also noticed greater numbers of professional dog walkers, who are likely to be visiting from neighbouring boroughs to avoid paying for a similar licence.

“Essentially, this licence makes dog walkers accountable – with more and more dog walkers in the park there’s higher risk of conflict between dogs, or dogs and park users. So, this is a key step in keeping our parks safer and cleaner.”

How does it work?

The licence will have two different costs depending on whether the dog walking business is based in or outside the borough and is similar to what is charged in neighbouring boroughs and the Royal Parks.

The licence applies to dog walkers, for up to four dogs per walks. The cost for a professional dog walker, registered as a business in Hammersmith & Fulham is £175 +VAT per year or £100 +VAT for 6 months. Non-borough businesses will pay £300 +VAT per year.

For a resident dog walking business, this equates to about 48p per day. Money from the licensing scheme will be put towards park maintenance and improvements.

The licence and permit will run from 6 April to 5 April inclusive. Fees are calculated from the licensee’s required starting date, on a monthly pro-rata basis. A replacement licence costs £50.

Where does it apply?

The licence will be required to operate in the following parks and green spaces:

  • Bayonne Road open space
  • Bentworth Road open space
  • Berestede open space
  • Bishops Park
  • Brook Green
  • Cathnor Park
  • Dalling Road open space
  • Edith Road open space
  • Eelbrook Common
  • Furnivall Gardens
  • Godolphin Road open space
  • Great West Road
  • Gwendwr Gardens
  • Gwendwr Gardens open space
  • Hammersmith Park
  • Hurlingham Park
  • Lillie Road rec
  • Little Brook Green
  • Marcus Garvey Park
  • Norland North open space
  • Normand Park
  • North Pole open space
  • North Verbena Gardens
  • Oil Mill Lane
  • Purcell Crescent open space
  • Ravenscourt Park
  • Richmond Way open space
  • South Park
  • Starch Green open space
  • St Paul’s Gardens
  • St Paul's open space
  • St Peter's Square
  • Upper Mall
  • Wendell Park
  • Westcroft Square open space
  • William Parnell
  • Wormwood Scrubs
  • Wormholt Park.

How to apply

To apply for licence, email: