Historic railings in Fulham have been given a new lease of life after H&F Council teamed up with volunteers from local organisations as part of a refurbishment project.
The project has resulted in more than 1,000 metres of the Victorian railings of Bishops Park, at the southern end of Fulham Palace Road, being scrubbed down and repainted with a glorious gloss finish.
H&F Council’s parks team has worked alongside volunteers from a wide range of organisations, from local groups to major multi-nationals who have all given their time for the project.
“We’re grateful to the many volunteers who have worked tirelessly alongside our Parks Team to make this a success,” said Cllr Wesley Harcourt, H&F Cabinet Member for Environment.
“There are numerous projects like this that simply couldn’t happen without the brilliant support and kindness of local volunteers.
“It’s collaborative work like this that also helps so many of our green spaces achieve Green Flag status, which signifies they are among the very best.”
The railings mark the boundary to Fulham Palace’s moat garden date from the late Nineteenth to early Twentieth Century. The paint in some areas was flaking away and the exposed metalwork corroding so the work was much-needed.
The gardens inside the railings are registered under the Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Act 1953 and are of special historic interest. Fulham Palace was home to the Bishop of London and dates back to 704.
The railings project has been completed entirely by corporate volunteers and taken six months. As well as giving their time, the local and national businesses have donated £4,000 of specialist, hard-wearing paint to help make the project a success.
Want to read more news stories like this? Subscribe to our weekly e-news bulletin.
By sending us a comment, you are agreeing to our publishing policy.