A new series of free specialist sessions to help families stay active and healthy this spring has just launched in Hammersmith & Fulham.
The third set of MEND sessions, backed by Hammersmith & Fulham Council, follows a successful launch earlier this year. The courses are being run to tackle childhood obesity and promote healthy, active lifestyles and good nutrition.
The courses form part of a three-year programme for under-18s and post-natal women with MEND, being short for ‘Mind, Exercise, Nutrition…Do it!’
“We are determined to help our residents live active, healthy lifestyles and to tackle childhood obesity,” said Cllr Vivienne Lukey, H&F Cabinet Member for Health and Adult Social Care.
“As part of our commitment to that we invested in the MEND sessions, which give people fun activities and ways to eat healthily and get more active without feeling pressured to do sport, or be on a strict diet.”
The programme is being run by provider MyTime Active and is available to new mums and children and young people in schools, nurseries and children’s centres with games and activities that focus on good nutrition and physical activity.
The courses are split across four groups:
MEND Mums - A six-week course including energy-boosting workouts and nutrition tips for mother and baby (0-2 years)
- Flora Gardens, Dalling Road, W6 0UD, Mondays, 1pm-2.30pm starting 18 April
- Langford Primary School, Gilstead Road, SW6 2LG, Fridays, 9.15am-10.45am, starting 22 April
- Thomas’s Academy, New King’s Road, SW6 4LY, 9.15am-10.45am, starting 7 June.
- Masbro Chlildren’s Centre, 87 Masbro Road, W14 0LR, Thursdays, 11.15am-12.45pm, starting 9 June.
MEND Mini – A six-week course offering interactive food-related activities plus games and exercises for two to five-year-olds
First half term:
- Normond Croft School Nursery, Bramber Road, W14 9PA, Mondays, 9.30am-10.30am, starting 18 April
- Little Peoples Nursery, 250a Lillie Road, SW6 7PX, Tuesdays, 9am-10am, starting 18 April.
- Servite Primary Nursery, 252 Fulham Road, SW10 9NA, 9am-10am, Wednesdays, starting 20 April
- Avonmore Park Primary Nursery, Extended Day Building, Wendell Park School, W12 9LB, Thursdays, 9am-10am, starting 21 April.
- Wendell Park Family Centre, Cobbold Road, W12 9LB, Fridays, 9am-10am, starting 22 April.
- Langford Primary School, CHC Room, Gilstead Road, SW6 2LG, Wednesdays, 9am-10am, starting 20 April.
Second half term:
- Fulham Primary School Nursery, Halford Road, SW6 1JU, Tuesdays, 9.20am-10.20am, starting 7 June
- Thomas’s Academy, Children’s Centre Room, New King’s Road, SW6 4LY, Wednesdays, 9am-10am, starting 8 June.
- St Thomas of Canterbury Nursery, Estcourt Road, SW6 7HB, Thursdays, 9.15am-10.15am, starting 9 June.
- St John XXIII Catholic Primary School, Commonwealth Avenue, W12 7QR, Fridays, 9am-10am, starting 10 June.
MEND 5-7 – A ten-week course boosting awareness of healthy eating, nutrition, active play and more
- Brackenbury Primary School, Brackenbury Road, W6 0BA, Tuesdays, 3.45pm-5.30pm, starting 19 April.
- Miles Coverdale Primary School, Coverdale Road, W12 8JJ, Tuesdays, 3.30pm-5.15pm, starting 19 April.
- Normond Croft School Nursery, Bramber Road, W14 9PA, Mondays, 3.45pm-5.30am, starting 19 April
MEND 7-13 – A ten-week course to change physical activity and eating habits for the better
- John Betts Primary School, Paddenswick Road, W6 0UA, Thursdays, 3.45pm-5.45pm, starting 21 April.
- Normand Croft Community School, Bramber Road, W14 9PA, Thursdays, 3.45pm-5.45pm, starting 21 April.
All courses are free and delivered by trained, specialist professionals.
The MEND programme will also be offered in neighbouring boroughs to ensure there are opportunities for as many children as possible to take part.
For more information and to book a place on a course, please visit www.mytimeactive.co.uk/MEND, or call 020 8323 1725.