Derby day delight as Hoops sting the Bees



Nahki Wells of Queens Park Rangers. PICTURE: GETTY IMAGES

Simon Cheshire

By Simon Cheshire

It was derby day delight for the Super Hoops in what was a ferocious Saturday afternoon in Shepherds Bush. 

A crazy 10-minute period early in the second half saw Rangers score three goals and ultimately claim all three points and the bragging rights against local rivals Brentford.

Going into the game manager Steve McClaren made one change to his side which lost away at Blackburn Rovers last weekend, as midfielder Josh Scowen was replaced by American Geoff Cameron.

The game kicked off in what can only be described as torrential rain. The home side started the much more threatening with Nahki Wells and Geoff Cameron both having efforts to break the deadlock, however in the 22nd minute it was Brentford who took the lead. Said Benrahma’s initial effort was well saved by Joe Lumley in the R’s goal, but the rebound fell straight into the path of Neal Maupay who was able to head home.

Despite going behind Rangers continued to create opportunities. With Massimo Luongo, Joel Lynch and Wells all having efforts which came to no avail. Which meant the Super Hoops went in at the break trailing.

After half time, it was all go for Rangers in what was a dramatic ten-minute spell for the R’s. in the 50th minute Luke Freeman’s left footed shot somehow found its way to Luongo just inside the six-yard box and he poked home to get the ball rolling for the R’s.

Eight minutes later Toni Leistners’ flick on from Freemans corner found Lynch at the back post, who was able to tap home to put Rangers ahead for the first time in the game.

As the clock reached the hour mark Wells pounced on a Brentford defensive mistake, before slotting the ball past the helpless Dan Bentley in the Bees goal to all but secure three points for QPR.

Rangers had their chances to seal the game once and for all, but Eberechi’s Eze’s free kick was off target and Luke Freeman’s effort from the edge of the box was blocked.

In the 81st minute Henrik Dalsgaard pulled a goal back for the away side, however thankfully it was nothing more than a consolation as the Super Hoops were able to hold on to what was another valuable three points and claim their first win over Brentford since 2016.

The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and unless specifically stated are not necessarily those of Hammersmith & Fulham Council.

Want to read more news stories like this? Subscribe to our weekly e-news bulletin.

By sending us a comment, you are agreeing to our publishing policy.

Want to stay connected with H&F? Sign-up to the council