How the council uses your information
The council is committed to abiding by the Data Protection Act, as well as people’s rights to confidentiality and respect for privacy.
We treat your private information with respect. It is kept secure. Only staff and third parties including service providers who are entitled to see the information, have access to it and they may only use it for the purposes stated.
Service providers are contracted to provide certain services on behalf of the council and where appropriate we have Information Sharing Protocols and Agreements in place to formalise this.
We will do our best to keep information about you accurate and up to date and would like you to do the same.
When we no longer have a need to keep information about you, we will dispose of it in a secure manner.
We use computer systems to ensure we have the best available information on you from the council departments who provide you with a service.
In particular, we will use information about you on the following basis:
(1) For all law enforcement, regulation and licensing, criminal prosecutions and court proceedings, we will use all information held by us in order to undertake those functions efficiently and effectively.
(2) For the maintenance and improvement of the services which we deliver, this includes the development and upgrading of the systems which we use to process your information.
(3) For all uses of information relating to situations where you owe money to the council, or where we are paying you money, or you are claiming grants, housing or council tax benefits, your personal information (other than just your name, address, dates of occupancy etc.) will be kept secure and used only for that range of purposes (and for those stated at (1) and (2) above).
By doing that. we are able to:
- Provide you with a better level of service, ensuring that our information about you is accurate and up to date.
- Ensure that public (taxpayers') money is spent wisely and efficiently.
- Avoid people being paid money to which they are not entitled.
- Avoid having to ask people to pay money back when it has been paid to them incorrectly.
- Reduce fraud and crime generally.
(4) For other functions of the council we will seek to ensure that your name, address, date of birth etc., is used intelligently, in order that we treat you as our customer and minimise inefficiency.
It is important to us that we properly coordinate what we do for you. As a result, when you tell us that you are moving address or changing your name, we will try and make it as easy as we can for you. We will try and keep all of our records up to date with your name and address details.
Bi-borough and Tri-borough partnership
As you are aware the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham (H&F), Westminster City Council (WCC) and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBK&C) have announced plans for shared working across some service areas. This will be on a Bi-borough (with two of the above councils) or on a Tri-borough basis (with all of three of the above councils). On 20 June 2011, a Tri-borough Implementation Plan was agreed by Cabinet.
To enable the partnership to work effectively and efficiently whilst maintaining a high standard of customer service, some of your personal information will be shared across the councils. The partnership is committed to abiding with legislation and will collect, use, share, protect and dispose of your personal data in full compliance with the Data Protection Act as cited above. You will be notified or requested to provide consent, where appropriate, as the shared services are developed.
For further information on how this may affect you, please contact the departments directly: Search A to Z of services.
IP (internet protocol) addresses
We monitor the number of visitors to our website and collect IP addresses through our system of continuous review. However, this information is not used to identify individuals.
Use of personal information
You can find more information about how we use personal information in our entry in the Information Commissioner’s Office Register of Data Controllers. We must renew this annually and update it whenever we are going to use personal information in a new way.
» Visit the ICO Registration of Data Controllers web page (opens new window)
Our Registration Number is Z5124889
We have strict security measures in place to prevent the alteration, loss or misuse of information on our computers. Our online payments are subject to the tightest security under our control.
Page last updated: 08/02/2013