Financial help for people with disabilities

Financial help for people with disabilities

Benefits and grants that you may be entitled to

» Council tax reduction for people with disabilities

» Disability facilities grant (home improvement)

» Direct payments - Direct payments are cash payments for people who have been assessed as needing care or support, and who wish to arrange and buy their care service independently, instead of having services arranged by the councils.

The Citizens Advice Bureau at opens in new window   can help you with advice about benefits and other problems you may have.  

For a general guide to benefits you may be able to claim if you are sick and unable to work please visit

For information about benefits and other financial support for people with disabilities please visit  GOV.UK

This includes information about:-

  • Incapacity benefit
    If you couldn’t work because of illness or disability before 31 January 2011, you may be receiving Incapacity Benefit. Since 31 January 2011 no new Incapacity Benefit claims have been accepted. You should claim Employment and Support Allowance instead. 
  • Disability Living Allowance - Personal Independence Payment
    Please note that Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) from 10 June 2013. PIP helps with some of the costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability and is available if you’re aged 16 to 64.
    To find out how much you may get, visit
    You will need to be assessed for eligibility to work out the level of help you will get, visit to find out about the assessment process.
    Existing DLA claimants - PIP is gradually replacing DLA for people aged 16 to 64. Use the PIP checker at  to find out if and when PIP affects your DLA.
  • Travel support: There is a mobility component of DLA/PIP available for adults and children with a disability severe enough to make walking difficult, even when wearing or using an aid or equipment.
  • Vaccine Damage Payment
    This is a one off payment that you may be entitled to if you or a member of your family is severely disabled as a result of vaccination.  
  • Independent Living Fund (ILF)
    The Department for Work and Pensions has introduced the Independent Living Fund (ILF) which delivers discretionary payments direct to disabled people across the UK, allowing them the choice and control to purchase personal care and other support services (including transport) to live independent lives in their communities. This scheme is now closed to new applicants.
  • War Disablement Pension 
    War Disablement Pension (WDP) is a payment made to people who have been injured or disabled as a result of any service in Her Majesty's Armed Forces.

Disabled Person's Tax Credit

If you are aged 16 or over and working on average 16 hours a week or more but you are restricted in the type of work, number of hours you can work or amount you can earn because of disability then you may be entitled to Disabled Person's Tax Credit.  This benefit is claimed through the Inland Revenue.

Page last updated: 18/07/2013