Make a planning application

Make a planning application

This page tells you how to make a planning application either online or by post. If you need any help completing any of these forms please contact the planning application team.

How to submit your planning application

In order to submit a planning application you will need to submit the right form, fee and additional documents according to your proposal. Once you have all the information you can then proceed to apply.

We strongly encourage you to apply online via the Planning portal. The system will take you step by step through the whole process.

Planning Portal logo smaller

» Planning portal

» Guidance notes on making an online planning application (pdf 42kb)

Most common reasons for invalid applications

1) Incorrect or no form
» See forms

2) No Ordnance Survey map (OS Map)
» Planning portal associated services to provide a OS Map

3) Incorrect or no fee
» See fees

4) Failure to submit an appropriate flood risk assessment
» See flood risk assessments

5) Failure to submit an appropriate design and access statement
» See design and access statement

6) Failure to submit a Construction Methods Statement for basement and/or light well excavation 
» See Construction Method Statement

Please ensure all drawings submitted with your application contain a metric scale bar.

Local validation checklist

Please bear in mind that each proposal might require different documentation. You can find more about specific requirements on our Local Validation checklist

» Download our current local validation checklist (pdf, 200Kb)

Planning application forms

Please make sure you use the correct form and send it in with four copies of existing and proposed plans, elevations and supporting documentation.

If you need any help completing these forms please contact the planning application team.

Householder forms:

Full application form and forms for businesses (applicable for change of use, shopfronts and works to flats)

Outline application forms, conditions and amendments

Other types of application forms

Prior notification forms:


The fee charged for the assessment of a planning application is set by the government and depends on the scale and nature of the proposed development. 

» Planning portal fee calculator

» Planning Portal application fees document (pdf)

» Fee schedule (pdf)

How to pay for your fees

  • Pay through the Planning Portal by credit/ debit card
  • Select 'Pay by phone' on the Planning Portal and one of our officers will call you the next morning to receive the payment over the phone
  • Call our Contact Centre on 020 8753 1081 and they will transfer your call to an officer authorised to take your payment.

Community Infrastructure Levy

To find out if your development would be liable for CIL, and what you will need to do, visit our CIL webpage.

The 'CIL additional information form' is also available under Other types of application forms .

Flood risk assessment

Two thirds of the borough is within a flood risk zone. If your application is for a property in a flood risk zone then you must submit a flood risk assessment.

» Hammersmith & Fulham's Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (pdf)

» Flood risk map on environment agency website

» Planning search  Use the planning search to search for a property in Hammersmith & Fulham and check to see if it is in a flood risk zone.

» Environment Agency's Advice on Flood Risk Assessments

Design and access statement

Please note that as of the 25th June 2013, the requirement for a design and access statement applies to fewer types of development.

A design and access statement is now only required for: major applications; listed building consent applications; and in world heritage sites and conservation areas where the application is for one or more dwellings, or where the floor space created by the building or buildings is 100 square metres or more.

» Planning search  Use the planning search to search for a property in Hammersmith & Fulham and check to see if a property is a listed building and / or in a conservation area.

You can see the new guidelines via this link to the planning portal website.

Construction Method Statement

A Construction Method Statement details how works on a development will be undertaken during the construction phase to prevent harm resulting from the scheme.

The content of a construction method statement will vary from site to site depending on the nature of the development, and the circumstances of the site.

Examples of the details a construction method statement may need to include:

  • timing/schedule of works
  • details of hours of working
  • pollution control measures
  • parking areas for the vehicles of site operatives and visitors
  • areas for the loading and unloading of plant and materials
  • measures to control the emission of dust and dirt during construction
  • a scheme for recycling/disposing of waste resulting from demolition and construction works
    access and haul routes for construction vehicles, deliveries, waste vehicles, etc

Energy statement

An energy statement should be submitted with all major planning applications. 

Further information is provided in our Energy supplementary planning document (pdf)

Contaminated Land

To find out if land is contaminated, and what implications this has for your planning application, view our contaminated land pages.

Party wall agreements

In order to avoid delays and/or possible legal action from the adjoining owners it is strongly recommended that you follow the provisions within the Party Wall Act 1996, prior to commencement of any building work affecting the party walls.

You can find the party wall explanatory booklet on the Communities and Local Government website.

Page last updated: 13/08/2014