Ravenscourt Park is one of the Borough's flagship parks. The 13 hectare open space is well used and loved by local residents and visitors.
Combining attractive landscaping and a range of wildlife habitats, Ravenscourt Park has an excellent array of leisure facilities, including a wide variety of play equipment, tennis and basketball courts, an all weather pitch and a popular tea-house.
Have your say on Ravenscourt Park
Park layout plan
Nearest tube: Ravenscourt Park or Stanford Brook (District)
Buses: 27, 190, 267, 391, H91, N9, N11
From Ravenscourt Park tube, turn left along Ravenscourt Road, right for a short distance along King Street, then right again onto Ravenscourt Avenue and straight ahead to the park entrance.
From Stanford Brook tube, head north on Goldhawk Road, turn right into Ravenscourt Gardens, then left onto Ravenscourt Park (street) and in through the park entrance.
Main entrances to Ravenscourt Park are on King Street, Ravenscourt Avenue, Ravensourt Road, Paddenswick Road and Goldhawk Road.
- Four play areas for 0-5 year olds
- One play area for 5-13 year olds
- Paddling Pool
- Tennis courts
- Football pitch
- Basketball courts
- Bowling green
The park stems from medieval times, when the lake in the centre of the park, which is fed by Stamford Brook, was part of the moat that surrounded Paddenswick (or Palingswick) Manor. It was only in 1888 that the 32 acre site was officially opened as public parkland.
King Edward III's mistress Alice Perrers lived in the manor during the 14th century. The manor house was rebuilt in 1650 and in 1747 it was sold to Thomas Corbett who named it Ravenscourt, probably derived from the raven in his coat of arms, which was itself a pun on his name as corbeau is French for raven.
In 1812 the Ravenscourt House and estate were bought by its final private owner, George Scott, a builder and philanthropist who developed nearby St Peter’s Square. Scott employed leading landscape architect Humphry Repton to lay out the gardens of the estate, and encouraged the building of houses along its edges. According to a park plan from 1830, there were 78 houses within the park, and by 1845 this number had risen to 330.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenscourt_Park (opens new window)
Friends of Ravenscourt Park
Ravenscourt Park news
» New gates at Ravenscourt Park
Interactive park location map
Page last updated: 23/08/2012