Fulham Town Hall
A brief history
Fulham Town Hall, which is a Grade II listed building designed by George Edwards, was built for Fulham Vestry in 1888-90. It was constructed of Portland stone in a classical style. Mr Edwards was the winner of a competition to design the building, which attracted many entrants and became bad-tempered, with accusations of unfairness. The new Town Hall soon proved too small, and an extension facing Harwood Road was added in 1904-5 by Francis Wood, the Borough Engineer. A later extension was made in 1934, when the Fulham Registration Service was transferred to Fulham Town Hall from 129 Fulham Palace Road.
A local newspaper described the opening ceremony of the Town Hall extension in flowery prose: “As things go in Fulham it was a very brilliant scene indeed. The floor was finely carpeted, the electric lights shielded by those pretty crinkly-paper shades which have made such an impression on previous occasions, and the walls were quite an art exhibition. The elite of Fulham lolled lazily in sofa stalls beneath the shade of sheltering palms. Rippling laughter, the hum of conversation and the rustling of rich silks filled the air, heavy with the perfumes of Arabia and Walham Green.”
The stained glass window at the head of the stairs leading to the great hall was made by the firm of Lowndes and Drury at the Glass House, the stained glass studio in Lettice Street. Other stained glass windows in the Council Chamber, depicting historic scenes, were made at the Brunswick Works, Hammersmith.
Page last updated: 22/07/2010