Hammersmith & Fulham council is fully committed to fraud prevention and deterrence. Benefit fraud is dealt with by the Department for Work and Pension (DWP) who are responsible for the investigation of welfare benefit fraud.
Some common examples of types of fraud that can occur are people:
- working whilst claiming to be unemployed
- not living at the address they claim from
- not declaring capital over £3,000 held in accounts
- not fully declaring all income or household members
- not declaring second properties.
You can report suspected Housing Benefit fraud in three ways:
By telephone: Contact the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440. Your call is free and confidential you do not have to give your name or address. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm.
If you have speech or hearing problems you can use a text phone service on 0800 328 0512 or Welsh speakers can call or 0800 678 3722.
Online at: www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
By Post: NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston PR1 1GP
Fraud against the council
The council has a dedicated team, the Corporate Anti Fraud Service, to investigate all other types of fraud that affect the council. Some of these are:
- Housing and tenancy fraud e.g. illegal subletting, false application for housing
- Council tax fraud e.g. claiming to be single and receiving 25% discount on your council tax
- Disabled parking fraud e.g. parking on disabled bays when the blue badge holder is not present
- Business rates fraud e.g. companies falsely claiming empty property or charitable relief
- Direct payments fraud e.g. people who falsely claim to be disabled to obtain care funds or misuse the funds
To refer your concerns you can;
- use our online form to report the fraud
- call our anti-fraud hotline 020 8753 1273. You do not have to leave your name and all information will be treated confidentially
- email email@example.com . All information will be sent straight to the corporate anti fraud service and will be treated with the strictest confidence
- write to the Corporate Anti Fraud Service at Hammersmith Town Hall, King Street, Hammersmith W6 9JU
|Office:||020 8753 1273|
Page last updated: 13/03/2015