Council tax - ways to pay
You can also opt to pay half yearly (in April and October) or yearly (in advance in April.
Ways to pay that help to reduce costs
The council pays transaction fees and charges for receiving your payments. If these costs can be reduced the costs of collection are lowered and this will help keep council tax levels down. Listed below are the ways to pay in order of the cost to the council - with the least expensive first. You can help us by choosing the least expensive option that suits you. Please pay by direct debit if you can.
1. Direct debit (bank or building society accounts).Over 56% of council tax accounts are paid by direct debit each year. Guarantees from your bank make this the easiest and safest payment option. You can choose your payment date – the 1st, 8th, 15th, 21st or 28th of the month, whichever date suits you. To set up your direct debit online go to 'My account' and register your council tax account, you will then be able to set up a direct debit. Alternatively, you may call 020 8753 6681 or print off and complete a Direct Debit form (PDF) The direct debit guarantee.
Make a payment online
using your debit or credit card.
You can pay on-line, 24 hours a day 7 days a week using your Maestro, Delta, Solo, Visa or Master card. A handling fee of 1.25% will be charged for all credit card payments. There is no handling fee for debit card payments.
3. By phone using your debit or credit card
Pay over the telephone using: Maestro, Delta, Visa, Master Card, or Solo. Just call 020 8753 1930 or 020 8753 6681 to take advantage of our fully automated debit/credit card payment facility - available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Have the account number from your bill ready. A handling fee of 1.25% will be charged for all credit card payments.
4. Home / telephone banking
Just call your bank and quote:
sort code 60-50-06
bank account number 41613317
your account number from your bill (8 digits starting with a 6)
5. Swipe card at the post office
Council tax payers can apply for a swipe card that enables them to pay their council tax at any post office by cash or cheque (made payable to 'Post Office Ltd'). The swipe card cannot be used to pay at a bank or building society.
6. By post
Cheques should be crossed and made payable to ‘LBH&F’, with the following information printed on the back: name, address and your 8 digit account number (see front of bill).
Send cheques to: LBH&F, PO Box 1453, London W6 9UU.
7. International payments for council tax You will need to pass the following information to your bank in order to make an international payment towards your council tax bill:
- IBAN GB66NWBK60500641613317
- BIC NWBKGB2L
- Your 8 digit council tax account number starting with a 6 (see the front of your bill or any other notice from us)
Page last updated: 23/07/2015